Wednesday, September 24, 2008

40 Days Left - Let's Finish Strong!


I attended another simulcast conference this morning focused upon updates to the Proposition 8 strategies around the state. Todays meeting also marked forty days of prayer left until November 4th. It was really good for me personally to be present there this morning.

I have struggled lately with the realization that my own deep felt interest in the issue of protecting the definition of marriage is not as passionately felt by many people that I come in contact with, even many that are very near and dear to me. I have even felt that my own church is hesitant to get too involved with the issue. These realizations cause me to take stock of where I find myself. Am I out of touch here? Am I making too much of this perceived threat?

This mornings meeting was a great reminder of the following truths:

God designed marriage to be one man and one women

Churches need to be informed and careful as to how they respond politically

Whether apparent or not, there really is a lot of support for Proposition 8 out there.

Voter polling regarding this issue has traditionally been off by 7-8% to the negative
(Meaning public opinion is in favor of the measure 7-8% more than reported)

Previously the State of California ballot boxes showed a 62% support for similar measures, like proposition 22, back in 2006 (75% in the county where I live)

Satan wants me to become discouraged and feel unsupported in my efforts.

At this mornings meeting, Lou Engle of The Call Ministry painted a very convincing argument that we are living in a period of State sanctioned and legalized sexual immorality very similar to that, which existed under King Ahab and his wife Queen Jezebel. The Bible lists Ahab as the most evil of all the kings before him (1 Kings 16:30). He did not make wise choices:

A Little History:
Ahab was the seventh King of Israel. He reigned for 22 years (871-852 BC). He was the son of Omri. He married Jezebel, daughter of Ethbaal, the king of the Sidonians. Ahab, under Jezebel's influence, built a pagan temple, and allowed idols into Samaria. Elijah the prophet warned Ahab that the country would suffer from drought if the cult of Baal was not removed from the land of Israel. Baal worship was accompanied with sinful sexual acts; behaviour expressly forbidden in Jehovah's law.After three years of drought, Elijah challenged Ahab and his pagan priests on Mount Carmel. God sent down fire to ignite a sacrifice, but the priests of Baal could not summon Baal to do the same. Then the people realized that God was the only true God. (1 Kings 18:18-39). Then, rains came and ended the drought.

Elijah denounced Ahab as a murderer because of the stoning of Naboth, which Jezebel, had instigated. Elijah told Ahab that dogs would lick his blood outside of the city, just as they had licked the blood of Naboth. He also told Ahab that none of his male heirs would survive and that Queen Jezebel would be torn apart by the dogs of Jezreel (1 Kings 21:17-24).


It is not hard to see Lou Engle’s point, as beacons of Light in this dark world, we Christians have a right and, ...dare I say an obligation to protect the future of this country from those that wish to sanction immorality as a social norm.

No comments: